October 26, 2012

The Doubleclicks

As I eluded to in my last blog, I want to introduce you to a new nerd band I discovered while at Rock Comic Con this past month, The Doubleclicks. I would not classify their sound as nerd-rock, so much as I might call it, nerd-folk.  Yet despite the lack of mostly electrical instruments, (they do have a cat-keyboard,) these two sisters put on a show that is funny, thoughtful, and especially entertaining. I found myself laughing and smiling along with the crowd as we were treated to their quirky and catchy style of song writing.
 
Angela Webber, who plucks-out on the guitar, ukulele, (because what other instrument do you expect to hear a folksy/nerd/comedy duet play;) and sings the majority of the vocals, is accompanied by her sister Aubrey Webber (cello/back-up vocals). The two sisters hail from Portland, Oregon, (which is ashame because it seems like the nerd bands I like are all from the northwest coast and very rarely get around the New York City area.) They have an impressive list of credits to their name, having been on stage with some major people like Whil Wheton or Hank Green, (when I say major, I mean major to me.) For more information you can check out their bio.

I caught these two beautiful sisters while in the midst of their tour around the eastcoast and even chatted with them a little after the show. From our small conversation I also learned that Portland Oregon was not the treeless landscape of fields, where people named Tim die of dysentery, (or where one kills 450 pounds of buffalo meat only to discover that you can only carry 6 pounds back to your wagon,) as I had expected, but was in fact a city. It is a great place to read books, watch movies, or play with hamsters... Truly a metropolis of the future, but I kid. The Wbber sisters said very gracious things about their time in New Jersey (which was even more gracious considering they spent it in New Brunswick,) and what they described to me about Portland sounded like a pretty cool place to be.

All in all, The Doubleclicks are definitely a band worth checking out. Their songs tend to be on the shorter side, but that means they are more like potato chips. You can't just have one and suddenly you look up and realize you have indulged in more than you expected. Yet, unlike potato chips, you will have a truly satisfied feeling when you are done with their crunchy bag of songs and lyrical whimsy... also no grease on your hands.

If the two sisters ever find their way back to the east coast I will certainly make sure I am among the crowd. I should suggest you be too. The night will not disappoint.


You can check The Doubleclicks out on:

Their homepage: http://www.thedoubleclicks.com/;
Listen to their music: http://thedoubleclicks.bandcamp.com/;
Or on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/thedoubleclicks?feature=watch




Check out the music video for their song: This Fantasy World.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment