July 29, 2015

The NYRD and the Future

Dear Meta-Humanity,

I know it has been a while since I wrote here, and for all six of my regular readers I want to talk candidly. As you may or may not know I have now started an online magazine called The NYRD. If you have enjoyed my writing I would very much suggest that you check out the site. You will not be disappointed. 

Unlike my current writings, The NYRD will be more focused on breaking down pop culture, and using the language of comics and movies to talk about real-world issues. There will still be the same irrelevance and fun, but maybe part of me is feeling as if it is time to grow up a little (not completely, seven hells, no,) but the books, TV shows, games, and even cartoons that we love are part of a greater whole. They are the myths that inform our lives, the heroes that inspire our decisions, and the lens through which we see the world.

Therefore, it is only natural that we use these stories to interpret what is going on around us. The goal is to engage geeks and nerds to start thinking critically about the culture they love and the issues we should care about. We are going to break down stories and ideas and live up to The NYRD's motto, of being Childishly Intelligent

The site will also feature short stories, artwork, podcasts, videos, and tons more of user generated content, at least I hope. As of right now I am still struggling in finding willing writers and artists. That is why I am asking you, my readers, and this community as a whole, to check out The NYRD, but don't just passively read the articles. Engage with them. Comment, Like, Share, Retweet, Bake a Cake (I'm not sure how that last one works, but I'm a little hungry.) Join the forum and start talking about what is on your mind or what you want to see us write about.

Most importantly, if you have anything to say or share or talk about, submit it to submissions@thenyrd.com. I am looking for your writing, your artwork, you cartoons, your graphics. This site is about us and our community with one another, and it should not just be my voice that is heard. 

Quite frankly, I am asking for help from people who I know are passionate and talented. This community and the geek community at large is filled with amazing and incredible people. If you feel like you have nothing to say, then submit a short story. If you do not think you can write, than give a piece of artwork for our gallery. Heck, if that's not your forte generate a meme for us. We will also be expanding into podcasts and YouTube videos real soon. If you have any talent in those areas, I want to hear from you. Whatever you submit we will promote it, through social media and though our website. 

I have always been a writer, for as far back as I can remember. In the beginning it was a way to play with action figures in my mind, to create characters and adventures. That is still true, but over the years it has become something so much more. Writing and stories are the ways I engage in the world and I could never picture myself doing anything else. Maybe that is why I have always been a lover of movies and books, of heroes and villains, and anything that ignited my imagination. Yet, I am getting older and I feel a responsibility to not just my beloved fictional worlds, but to our real one as well.

I cannot fly and punch meteors from the sky. I do not travel time and space in a blue box. I do not have magic or a ring of power, and my destiny was never foretold on some ancient scroll. I am only me, and the only power I have is this, right here. I can string a bunch of mediocre words together, so regardless, I am going to keep using that as best I can to goof off, to be weird, to entertain, and maybe even to inform along the way, but with your help we can do something amazing.

All I am asking is for you to take a step, and join me on this journey. No one can do it alone, and any adventure is always more fun when you have friends along to help.

This will be my last post on this site. I want to especially thank you for your readership and I hope to see you again in the future at www.thenyrd.com. Also check us out on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+.

Sincerely,
Adam J. Brunner 


No comments:

Post a Comment