October 9, 2014

Kirby Krackle

It occurs to me that of all the artists I have featured, there is one in particular which I have never written a full article on. I have mentioned them in passing I have never talked about them in depth, and this is one musical act that deserves to be highlighted.

Kirby Krackle sounds like something Walter White would brew with his chemistry set, but they are, in fact, a nerd rock band from Seattle, led by front-man Kyle Stevens. (It is also the name of an artistic convention in comic books, but that's not important right now.) They have risen to nerd stardom on the backs of their witty lyrics and catchy tunes that make references to everything from comic books to movies to video games to action figures. With musical stylings ranging from acoustic guitar to full electrical instrumentation with an interspersing of rap lyrics, the songs of KK always prove to be both enjoyable and incredibly imaginative. Some songs like Nerd Money, Booty Do Math, or Up, Up, Down, Down, are meant to be both fun and irrelevant, while other songs like: Needing a Miracle, When I Miss You, and Dusty Cartridges & Long Boxes can be surprisingly emotional. Most of their songs strike an impressive balance between being outwardly referential and nerdy while hiding a deeper layer of meaning. Even better you don't need to be a hardcore nerd or comic fan to get most of the jokes, (though it helps.)

The group has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I heard them first perform at the Supanova Pop Culture Convention in Melbourne, Australia, and was lucky enough to get to talk with Kyle and his partner, Jim, after an impressive performance, and even get to know them a bit better. At the time, and having lived in Melbourne for months, it was just nice to talk with some people who had the same funny accent as me, and it helped that they were both stand up guys. In the years since my return to the States and the craziness of my life I have managed to check in with Kirby Krackle, during their brief stopovers at New York Comic Con, and though their fame continues to grow, (having opened for Weird Al, and done some extensive touring around the US and Canada,) they remain the same down-to-Earth guys that I first met down under.

If you don't know who Kirby Krackle is, I recommend you check them out. If you don't know what Nerd Rock is, then I doubly recommend that you check them out. KK may not be some Heisenberg created narcotic, but for me they represented a gateway into the nerd rock scene. So visit their website and their site on Bandcamp or iTunes. While you're there buy some of their songs and albums, and support the awesomeness that is Kirby Krackle and Nerd Rock. I promise you won't be disappointed by what you hear.

Kirby Krackle Homepage
Bandcamp
iTunes
Or support them through their Patreon

Ring Capactiy


In Another Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment